Today marks the first day of my #21in21 series and countdown. A week ago I was on my laptop cleaning up the unorganized pictures that have accumlated over the years and was intrigued to see how each Angelica looked. I then began to realize how differet each Angelica was, and thought about what defined each particular year of her life. So in the midst of all the late night past-Angelica thoughts, I decided to start this project.
In 21 days, I will turn 21. Until then I will reflect and post about each year of my life. I'm excited to do this because I think it's important to know who you were, where you've been, and how you've grown. Why? Because it helps you understand who and where you are, who you want to be, where you want to go, and how you need to help yourself grow. I personally believe that understanding your roots is one of the many keys to moving forward, so here's to growing from these reflections and after them!
Day 1: First 24 Months of Life
When planning ahead and counting down the days, I totally forgot that in order to turn 1 years old, you need to have first lived through a year of life, so this first post will count for both.
Originally I wanted to use the most adorable picture of the 1-year-old-me that I could find, but then stumbled upon this gem. I patiently waited through a day of school, work, and service to come home and ask my mom if she put the medals on me. When she told me it was actually my Nana, I gave her a call and asked for her stories.
I am the oldest of my Nana's grandchildren. When I was born, she was so ecstatic that she went to the mall and told everyone about me and that she was now a grandmother. I've known about this story all my life, but now what I also know is that she joined the St. Ann's Grandmothers' Club and received a medal of its patron, which is the first medal on my safety pin. The second is St. Anthony, but she didn't give me an explanation for that one. Looking back, i feel that I've often found these Saints to come up a lot through my life, St. Ann, in particular, when I served the CFC-Y chapter of Surrey 2 as Chapter Head. I turned to her a lot at the end of 2012 and throughout 2013, so it's beautiful to know that she must have been waiting for me that whole time.
It will be harder to do reflections on the first third of my life as I will not remember much, but I can still express my gratitude. I am grateful for the first twenty four months of my life. To have been able to establish attachment with a family that always had time for me was a blessing, especially as they provided a safe and nurturing environment for the little brand new me.
Thank You, Lord, for blessing me with my life, and for letting it bless those around me. Though I wasn't aware of it, I rest assured knowing that my life as a newborn baby and 1 year old was a source of love and unity for my family.

No comments:
Post a Comment