


Angelica at 17
Threw one of the best birthday parties she ever had. At 17, I invited all my girl friends over for a glitter dance party referred to on Facebook as "extraordinary day". It was like a perfect teenage girl party in my eyes. I didn't even like glitter at the time, but ever since then I have. Everyone dressed up, came over and painted their nails, and dusted themselves with glitter. We strung streamers and balloons from my kitchen/living room ceiling and began to dance and sing to all our favourite jams. It was fantastic.
17 year old Angelica found hit a catalyst in her serivce life. She went to a Discovery Camp + True North Conference and served at My Seven From Heaven and Camp F(IX)ated. Through these, she drew closer to the Lord.
Angelica at 17 was loved more than she could comprehend. Being new to two different groups of friends, she was welcomed with eager and loving arms. Looking back it feels as though she was often the centre of their attention. These were some of the first people to enjoy her humor, and it took her by surprise. She hit a point where she was so loved, she began to dislike when people would use the word "love" towards her, as she thought they were just throwing it around (and too much, at that). But she loved them, though she was afraid to from the hurt she experienced at 16. She was scared that they too would leave her.
This Angelica was a dreamer. She wanted to go places, try new things, develop new talents, and stray away from the ordinary. She longed for things that were out of her reach, and disliked the fact that school got in the way of it. And with that being said, disliked even more that she had to "figure out" where she was going after graduation.
17 is where the nickname "Pocahontas" emerged, and I really does make sense with all that this Angelica was, liked, and desired. This was the moccasin wearing, forest + beach exploring, indie music listening Angelica, who stopped basketball to serve God via almost every school club. She ran for and became Vice President and wanted to change the world. She was a visionary. If all past teenage Angelicas were athletes, then this Angelica was an artist. She began to explore photography, poetry, acting, and painting. She read more books and sang a little different too. 17 was the first to start documenting on this blog, and I'm glad she did.
Everlasting King, 17 was moulded me in different ways than the rest. Thank You for drawing me closer to You in this year, for blessing me with opportunities to know You and serve You. Thank You for loving me tremendously through the people you surrounded me with. I still value all of them and love them with all my heart, even if I do not see them as often as I used to. I am grateful to have learned how to dream, to become passionate and inspired.

No comments:
Post a Comment